Occupational therapy is designed to help patients with temporary or permanent loss of function regain independence and quality of life. Occupational therapists specialize in caring for people with physical, developmental or emotional challenges by helping them improve their ability to perform daily activities, as well as recommend ways for patients to adapt their environment to enhance independence. Therapists assist patients with everything from eating, bathing and dressing to using a computer, getting in and out of the car, or running errands.
Comprehensive occupational therapy
Bayfront Health Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda’s certified occupational therapists provide a full range of services, including:
- Assessment of cognitive and physical abilities
- Goal setting and planning to help patients overcome individual challenges
- Personalized exercises to improve functional ability, strength, range of motion and endurance
- Activities to improve visual perceptual motor skills and sensory motor processing
- Recommendations for task modifications and use of assistive devices to promote greater independence
- Progress assessments to ensure goals are being met, with adjustments made as necessary to achieve goals
Our occupational therapists work closely with patients and family members in developing a care plan to ensure each patient’s unique needs are being met, and that caregivers are well prepared to support patients in their recovery.